Wednesday, January 28, 2015

An Essence of the Past---Visited the Present

I wrote this poem to bring awareness to all of us whose lives are so busy we do not take the time to look beyond a face. This is the existence of the homeless of being mostly ignored---some labeling them as lazy or worse.

But beyond labels and opinionated news media and others--- there are some who are homeless because they do not have any family. They lost everything due to issues outside of their control and now they live on the streets, in cardboard boxes, abandoned buildings or in tents in the woods.
She stopped in front of the old man---crippled and worn,
His clothes were raggedy---dirty and torn.
His seat---the cold icy cement---sidewalk,
Always---where he waited for his other homeless friends---to talk.

He looked up at her beautiful young Angel face,
She smiled back---but stood her place.

I am Suzanne she said--- named after my Granny Suzanne
---and I am looking for---my Papa Fred,
Mama and Daddy said he is not dead.

But he left home before I was born---and I am 
seven today,
So I wanted to find my Grandpapa Fred---maybe 
he came this way?

When Mama and Daddy think I am napping---I am searching,
I know what I will say to him---I’ve been rehearsing.

This is Mary my doll---she is special---and precious to me,
Papa Fred gave her to my Mama you see.

I know she looks old and some hair is missing,
But Mary and I have been wishing.

That Papa Fred could hold her once more---
before she is repaired,
Mary wants to show Papa Fred all that we have shared.

I have to go now it is snowing,
And shouldn’t you also be going?

Don’t worry about me child---but I will look out 
for your Papa Fred,
And I promise to tell him all you have said.

But you have to promise me---you will not 
look for him---alone,
Now it is time for you to go home.

So she ran all the way home---and silently c
limbed into her bed.
The old homeless guy walked slowly into the
 alley facing the coldness--- his nightly dread.

His home a cardboard box---half filled with rags 
from others trash,
This was now his kingdom---a place of his own to crash.

The snow fell hard as a blizzard through the night,
None of the homeless moved until the sun was bright.

Everyone was up and stood around the barrels of fire,
Barrels were their only warmth---with talks of food 
searches to conspire.

Soon they noticed one was missing---the oldest 
old man had not risen,
They found him frozen inside his box home
---his icy prison.

He held in his hand--- a round locket of gold,
It surely was antique---it appeared very old.

Tears were frozen on his face,
He was now warm and happy in another
---time and place.

Inside the locket was a picture of a little girl 
and her Mama and Dad,
The little girl about one ---with an Angel face looked sad.

The inscription on the back said---
1930---My Darling Suzanne---Love Forever---Your Fred.


When the trails of life bears down on your heart,
Take my hand and we will depart,
To leave it all behind for a new start,
Be quick My Darling---as fast as a dart.

No more tears to wet your pretty face,
Instead I want you dressed in Chantilly lace,
Tis not a buggy ride or race,
I only want to take you to a paradise place.

Weep no more my lovely as I kiss your full lips,
With little love nips,
Life is lived without scripts,
We will sail away with the fleet of ships.

We live, we laugh, and we love,
Until it is our time to rise above,
And leave all earthly possessions that we might love,

To follow the White Winter Dove,

© BEPH 2015 All Rights Reserved

PurvisBobbi44 is the sole author of this article and if it is seen anywhere else on the Internet or in print it was taken without my consent. 

Tilly The Bag Lady---Click the Link below to Read---Thanks


No comments:

Post a Comment